Never in my uni life (not that I have a long one, it's just the second year) that I've encountered a tutor who is speaking in such a high-level, unearthly language that none of the students in the tutorial would understand what he's saying.
I've always thought I'm pretty slow in translating from mandarin to english when I want to express something in a topic. Or, most of the times my mind thinks it's a bother to move so I'm stuck gazing back and forth, pretending that I'm alert when my mind is question for the 1000th time what time does it end?? I'm used to dominant speakers in the tutorials because I've realized that if I have nothing to say i better shut up, or if i have something to say it better be like in an essay form where i state my topic sentence, explain and state the example. They will never let u get away with just I disagree because I think xxx. Tutors are wicked. Especially arts tutors.
So, in The Mobile World class, the tutor continued what he lectured yesterday. On cosmopolitanism and nationalism and ism and ism and ism. As usual, he raised a question.
My mind was giving warning signals. I don't understand??! hah, i dont understand...why why why? Then, I realise for the first time, it's normal to not understand what the tutor is saying. Just because people answer doesn't mean that they fully understand the question. This realization definitely reduces some of my low esteem as the people that he fired the question at look either dumbfounded, expressionless, or just stunned.
They either asked , ' Can you paraphrase that?' or 'I'm not sure' or 'I think it's like this this this...is that what you're asking?' to try to verify their answers with him in vain. I also tried my best to answer, although my answer trailed off with nothing much to add.
It's definitely one of the weirdest class I've ever been in.