On Wednesday, I was up at 8 and busying around like a bee for the whole day. I yawned during TV News lecture even though the woman is an award winning feature story journalist. Her story was very interesting, but as I'm still suffering from the bad-tv-interview depression, I wasn't really in a mood to listen to how passionate journalists should be when they are out telling a story. When she said, "If you are not nosy and do not want to tell a story, then ur in the wrong business." I thought to myself, im awfully nosy and i always tell stories, does that make me in the wrong business? So i yawned unintentionally, to relieve stress and tension.
Then, I went to the Guild to find out stories for THursday. Guild activites are the best events to report on because 1: we dont have to travel, 2: Guild people and students are ALWAYS willing to talk. Or, anything with the relevant academics, especially those who are media hogs, love to shine in the media. In the past 6 weeks, we have "resused" a Professor from the Sustainability and Technology Department twice because he just LOVES to be on the TV, although he has no concrete knowledge on the subject. Anything that has to do with an environmental angle, just ask him. We also LOVE such talents who are willing to talk anything and everything. Makes the job so much easier *&*$(&#@ pharmacists...)*$((*#@(*% researcher..#$(w$u*(u(uhospitals and doctors....bah.
I went to the Career Centre for a mock interview for my internship. The counsellor who recieved me asked me very strange questions at first and she looked fazed. After straightening out my thoughts and briefing explaining to me what the employer expect and give me some great pointers. Her answers are so smooth she can be a spinster. For example, I said that what if i do not hold any President position of some sort. Her standard answer is:" It's not necessary to take the lead all the time. I'm a very good team member and I enjoy maintaining the harmonious relationship. This doesn't mean that I'm incapable of leading. When I'm more experienced and get to know my group mates more I will naturally take the lead. What she means is always support yourself in the end with your answers. She gave many more valuable pointers and finally I told her my problem is low self-confidence. The instant change in her attitude is astonishing. She suddenly exudes spirituality and appears to be full of philosophical thoughts. She printed out an inspiring email poem for me and related her experience of her childhood where she was suppressed from expressing her opinons and how it affected her when she grows older. She emphasized on the fact that, "Instead of living your life burdened with other judgments and feel miserable, it takes also that much effort to be happy as well. Do not self-criticize yourself, let your
beautiful soul blossoms and grows. And when it blossoms and grows, you'll appreciate your life more. Instead of comparing to other people and saying Wow you're good i'll never be as good, just say wow you're good good for you and go on doing what you're best at." I will never forget the expressiveness of the messages conveyed through her body language where she opens her palms repeatedly to depict the words "blossoms and grows". The career counselling process therefore, at this point is shifted to philosophical and spiritual discussion. I came out feeling like there are little wings to my shoes, guiding me to float above others gently but with sureness.
Then I travelled to the Sports and Rec Centre but all the mighty good events that are potential broadcasted news are on Friday. Taking all the info and vowing not to tell the Friday group (hehehe), I wandered off to the Guild. A nice lady whom i bugged twice that day directed me to the booth in the middle of Bush court. I've never been interested in student guild elections in my young life, but I was keen to dig out every single info as If my life depend on it. Actually, my Best New Story assignment depends on it. I have not much hope of churning out a news story good enough to be selected for my assignment but I was gambling on this one. A middle-aged man approached me and I expressed my stand , "I'm from Murdoch Net News blahblah who should i talk to blahblah". Then whatever he said next pleasantly surprised me. From him, I learned that he is the mighty 2006 Guild President who is unopposed and have achieved like so many incredible activities for the students without using much of the Guild's funds. I've never encountered anybody who's so passionate in politics and students' rights and I just stared at him with admiration, while his motor mouth went on and on. I also learned that he is also running for senate because he wanted to stop others from holding multiple positions ( I learned that some ppl have 15-16 positions and look damn good on resume but it's actually empty shell. No superhuman can handle tat much responsbilities.) And I spied on other broadcast teams, asking him what kind of questions that they asked him so that i wouldnt relate the story on the same angle.
When I got back, I drafted out my script, studied for GMT tute and rushed my PR journals, reminding myself that I'm special, im special im really special...